In 1939, a series of escalating border clashes in Western Manchuria constituted an undeclared war between Japan and the Soviet Union.
Nomonhan - Scenario Highlights
* Japanese versus Russian forces
* Western Manchuria - July 1939
* Complexity 7 scenario begins as night (5 turns) and than changes to day
* Japanese OOB - 3rd and 4th Tank Regiments, 1/64th Infantry Battalion, 2/28th Infantry Battalion, 1/72nd Infantry Battalion, 13th Field Artillery Battalion, attached engineer company and assorted units.
* Russian OOB - 9th Armored Car Brigade, 1/11th Tank Battalion, 24th Motorized Rifle Regiment, 331st Field Artillery Battalion, Mongolian Border Guard Company
Players command highly mobile forces on the desolate steppes and plains of Western Manchuria! Japanese must quickly punch through an enemy recon screen, securing hill and ridge objectives, and than advance to capture Kawamata Bridge and the vital exit routes. Russians need to blunt the Japanese advances, trading space for time, while waiting for reinforcements and dawn's light for improved artillery LOS.
Nomonhan (Version 1.1) - Proposed Changes
Based on play testers' feedback (Round #1 Testing) and also the information I am gathering from my test games with Ashley, I propose the following changes for version 1.1.
* Move the motorized infantry regiment (Currently on the road near the Kawamata Bridge) approximately 12 hexes west to where the dirt road changes to a path. (This will place the regiment closer to the 2x 25VP and 1x 50VP and provide the Allies with opportunities for defending / counter attacking) Also, I am struggling with whether I should start this motorized regiment mounted or unloaded? Maybe have the infantry dismounted and the artillery still limbered?
* Move the armored car battalion (Currently starts near the 100VP exit hex) to approximately 6 hexes away from the southern 50VP on the dirt road. (This will provide opportunities for the armored car battalion to either flank or directly help defend the 50VP.)
* Increase the morale for all Russian units by 1.
* No proposed changes.
* Change night length from 5 to 3 turns. Visibility would be the following: Turns 1-3 (3) / turns 4-7 (5) / turns 8-20 (7) Simulates dawn breaking on the battlefield.
Note - Targeting mid-October to start Round #2 testing.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /